Thursday 5 July 2012

National Holidays


We just had the Canada Day long weekend up here in the northern lands. I didn't stay in town for most of the festivities but my family did make a day of it none the less. Alas for me I wasn't feeling so good that particular day so I was kinda bitchy! I feel bad about it.

My family and I went to Banff national park and hung out by the lake a few kilometres outside of the town. The water was beautiful, a lovely blue green and it was just the right amount of sunny. My dad climbed a rocky out cropping along the shore. I didn't post pictures of it  because I'm not sure he'd like me putting his picture up even if I have at most a dozen readers.

Times like this I wish I had a dog so I could take him with me and walk the park. There were a lot of families there that day being a long weekend and free admission to national parks and all. Next year I hope I'll feel better, not that I'm really sick or anything.

Anyway after the park I got to rest and I eventually felt well enough to venture out to see fireworks. My dad and I went but neither of us knew what time they were starting so we sped a little. Bad I know but we didn't go that fast, I swear. There was already a small crowd gathered at the hill and we should have brought chairs or blankets since we were an hour and 45 minutes early. But we found space and sat on the concrete and took some scenic pictures of the city while we waited. I found out on twitter when the show would start so we just sat and waited and compared photos of the day. I've got to say they weren't that great, the fireworks that is, my photos look amazing. (lol just kidding they're both mediocre.) But that's ok because I got over my bitchiness and we had a good time. 

I should have taken more video, I will at the international fireworks competition in Aug. Hopefully I'll get around to posting it; seeing as how awesome (not) I am at posting regularly. 

 Cheers


Lake Minnewanka




the smoky after haze of fireworks


Well here's a little poem about national days. Happy Canada Day and 4th of July.




National Holiday

National jubilation
flag colours abound,
we cheer to the heavens
as trumpets play our pride.
Hard fought and dearly protected
soil of my heart,
rich with stories
both ancient and young,
fruitful on all fronts
harvests of life.
Freedom songs in the air
enshrined for the masses.
Let your peoples join hands
Happy Birthday my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment