Wednesday 11 July 2012

Stampede 2012 - 100 years!



My family went down to the Calgary Stampede last weekend. I usually go with friends but my dad really wanted to go this year. Well every year he wants to go but he always puts it off but since it's the 100 year anniversary we made a day of it. There were of course the midway rides, colourful and bright. Some are definitely more relaxing than others. I can't handle the accelerated down feeling on roller coasters so I can't ride too many rides. There was a small black one that I don't know the name of that almost made my dad throw up. My favourite ride of all time is the Hulk roller coaster at Islands of Adventure in Orlando FL, USA. I like the upside down bits, odd since I can't handle other coasters. It's probably all psychological, or maybe not. >.< 

There's also the food, like mini donuts, deep fried pickles, deep fried waggon wheels and huge turkey legs. Too much food for one person so plan ahead! Safe to say you can't be on a diet at the Stampede, not without ridiculous will power.

There's also the shopping and lotteries. We toured the show home but my dad said "No Thank You!" lol. I thought it was a nice though smallish house but the layout wasn't our cup of tea. We did buy a few things, I mean how can you not. Candy and jewellery mostly and my mom was dearly tempted by a $70 silk pillow cover! 

There was also the Heavy Horse Show. We happened in during the middle of it just to get out of the sun and we saw some dolled up horses. The runner up of the youth division was there because of something like the Make a Wish Foundation for his area and a donation was made in his name to the Make a Wish Foundation of Southern Alberta to pay it forward. It was a touching story. If I wasn't so afraid of getting kicked by a horse I'd love to ride them! Maybe in the future I'll try it out anyway.

That's not all, there so much more, like games and zip lines and art and craft and music and shows of all kinds. I didn't get a chance to see it all, maybe you will?! It's a little late in the game but if you get a chance check out the Stampede or maybe go next year. 101 is lucky after all! (Maybe for Dalmatians only. :P)





one of a few artists at work



No comments:

Post a Comment